Saturday, August 22, 2015

How Theresa got her frilly groove back...

The path a Lolita takes exploring this fashion is never a straight one. It has forks, u-turns, and roadblocks. When you think you're content or happy with the fashion, suddenly there's congestion and bumper-to-bumper frilly traffic, so you get stuck, lost, or you take the nearest exit and leave the fashion for good.






I've been an enthusiast of the fashion since 2005 and during these last 10 years my thoughts about the fashion have definitely changed with my experiences. When I was 17, I romanticized the fashion, daydreaming about Brands, watching Kamikaze Girls repeatedly, and counting my pennies to save up for my first dress. This post isn't about my journey from "ita" to Lolita. It's about the final stage, when you're content with the fashion and cruising through the frilly highway without obstructions. Then, suddenly you have a head on collision with reality. This experience, for me felt very much like a mid-Frill-life crisis.



So what does any Lolita do during this crisis? This depends on the lolita, some may start by selling unworn or unwanted items or making collages of their favorite Lolitas or Brands to kick start their inspiration. I think choosing to sell items is the most pivotal option, as it's like we're unloading the unwanted cargo on this frilly cruise ship to keep it from sinking.

I listed all the items that I bought on impulse including cheap Brand jsks and accessories from Japanese auction sites.  They were beautiful in their own right but purchased just because they were "under $30".  At my lowest point, I felt confident enough to buy my dream dress. By the listed measurements, I would fit into it, but it wasn't until it arrived and tried on that I realized, it would never work.

An empty closet later and a Paypal balance that looked eerily similar to my winnings from a penny slot machine in Las Vegas, I re-evalulated my Lolita life. Having my dream dress not work out was a slap in the face that I needed. Along with having the wrong motives to purchase items, I was also comparing myself to others. I was looking at the ideal Lolita wardrobe that I thought would be successful and rewarding without any emotion.

So I took that Paypal balance, paid off some bills, and went after what I wanted. I went in with the attitude that I can be any Lolita that I want to be. The hell what anyone else thinks! I know the style well enough to achieve a lovely coordinate no matter the style or Brand. Once I purchased dresses that I were flattering on me and fit the esthetic that I wanted - I felt so happy and content,

Now I have a wardrobe that finally has the foundation to grow with me. I have dresses that I can keep  and enjoy for years to come. I have the power curate a wardrobe that is exactly what I want. 
There's no greater satisfaction than that.

So readers, have you experienced such a road block in your Lolita journey and if so, how did you move passed it?

No comments:

Post a Comment