Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The journey to the center of the curl!

One day, I watched a Youtube video and 5 minutes later, I chopped off 10 inches of my hair! That’s a story I’ll definitely tell my grandchildren.  Why did I do it? The chemical processes and heat damaged my hair to a point of pure embarrassment. I was unhappy with myself and my hair.  It took 3 years of research and changing my hair habits to allow for full acceptance of my hair’s beautiful curly goodness.
As a Latina, getting my hair washed and set (rollers and sitting under the dryer), was a monthly and soon weekly routine. I wanted acceptable hair for school and I wanted something easy. In high school and university, classes were early and I didn’t want to spend 30 minutes washing and styling my hair, everyday. 
So I chose the easy way out. I washed everyday, using horrible products that ruined my hair and scalp. On top of that, the chemical relaxers and texturizers, not to mention heat (flat iron), was frying those already damaged ringlets. Note: relaxers completely breaks the bond of the hair, making it dead straight, depending on how long the chemical is left in.  A texturizer, softens the bond of the hair, but if left in long enough, it could straighten it. I was drying out my hair and even damaging my scalp. Plus, the processing chemicals smelled horrible and gave me headaches for weeks after the treatment.

In 2011, it was time to start the transitioning process. I followed the washing and style suggestions I found on websites for natural curly hair. Soon my hair began to change and grow! I did the big chop once I had enough length of my natural growth to cut off the dead, processed ends. I did the cut myself, because I wanted to save money and I didn’t find a salon I felt comfortable in.  At least I have the ringlets I had when I was a wee lass; they are so soft and bouncy!  My current daily routine involves using natural, sulfate free shampoo (Shea Moisture) and conditioner. Curly hair doesn't like shampooing in general, so on alternate days, I co-wash: washing using conditioner. This insures that the scalp is healthy and that the ringlets are not stripped of too many natural oils.


I didn’t have this epiphany until I read about how to care for curly hair. The Internet is a great tool for this and there are many websites and forums where I read real stories from women with similar hair issues to mine.  Websites such as CurlyNikki and NaturallyCurly, have information about curly hair textures, sulfate free shampoos, style guide, a forum, and much more!

For Lolita fashion, I do wear wigs because I don’t have the length that I would like for my own hair. Wigs are very popular in Lolita fashion and specific hairstyles are very trendy.  I do plan to buy more wigs for my wardrobe but for everyday, non-Lolita wear, I rock my natural curls. 

Products:

I chose some hair styles that I think are very pretty and workable for Lolita fashion!

 
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Aww, I wish I had naturally curly hair like this; lol that's always been a dream of mine!

    I get my hair relaxed every month, but I only use heat when I'm flat ironing my hair (usually about every two weeks) so my hair isn't too bad off, plus I use a lot of moisturizers. Still, the only way I can get decent curls is to sleep in rollers, and even then they usually fall after a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely possible - you can achieve it :D!
      In hindsight, if I knew more about the moisturizers and products that would help my hair during the processing period, I think I would have been better off. However, the lack of education by the stylist and my own ignorance was the culprit. The cost was high too, here in the NY area, a relaxer or texturizer for medium hair could be at least $70, plus I did also go to get it blown out or washed and set every week. The cost of upkeep! Now that I've graduated college and looking for a job, the hair budget I have goes towards my natural products to maintain my curls.

      I have a home hair dryer, like I prop it on the table and sit under it. They are really awesome and not terrible expensive...have you tried rollers under a dryer instead of sleeping in them?

      Delete
  2. This is similar to my story. I straightened because my mom didn't know how to deal with my curls and I grew up surrounded by people who did not have hair like mine. A lot of Indians (from India), Asians, Caucasians, and even latinas who all had lovely straight hair and never understood my hair woes. In my teens, I got chemical burns from a relaxer and so I stopped those after that incident. When we had swimming, everyone liked my curls, so I started trying to work with them. Eventually, I found the same sites you did and learned to care for my curls.

    I also want to add that if you do want straight hair, a Brazilian blowout is basically just super conditioning your hair. It can be very pricey, but it makes your hair healthier so you get better results if you want to straighten your hair with a flat iron, but you can still wear your hair curly. I never chopped my hair, but the Brazilian made it a lot healthier and smoother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment IvyFrozen!
      My mom was in similar predicament. She didn't know how to work with my curls and all the baby pictures of me, even into early elementary school, my curls were all over the place or in braids.

      I wish I knew more about how to care for my curls earlier on, it's been stressful early on, seeing how damaged my hair was and waiting for it to grow out. I have heard of the Brazilian blowout and went for a consultation but I'm not a candidate for it :(. My curly hair is very fine and does not to well to even regular relaxers (now I know the reason why my hair was falling out in clumps). The "technology" for curly hair is improving all the time and I hope to see a relaxing/conditioning process that will work for hair if I want to go straight again.

      Though, I have to say, that I've seen your pictures on d_L and Tumblr and you have the most gorgeous curls! It gives me hope and inspiration to where I would like to be with my hair and how it looks with a Lolita coordinate. It's beautiful!

      Delete